Saturday, March 2, 2013

Kitchen Design Factors part II (microwaves)


Microwave design factors:
  • I want the microwave face to sit flush with cabinet line.  This is actually not possible for 99% of the models on the market today.  Just to open the door of the microwave, the microwave face needs to extend from the cabinet line about 1.5-2 inches (door swing of an over-the-range microwave).  There is another problem with standard cabinet depths of 12".  Microwaves are at least 14 inches deep.  Most are 15-17.  After a lengthy debate with myself, and looking at dozens of microwave models available, 15 inch cabinets work the best to reduce the OTR (over the range) microwave wart feature in the cabinet line.  And i wont limit myself to a few choices of microwave types. (not designing myself into a corner).  For space planning, I am using these cut out dims for the microwave.  I'll finalize the microwave model later.  These dims allow for hundreds of makes and model options. More choices usually lead to better price options.


I have read and heard conflicting opinions on drawer microwaves.  I had originally thought of going this direction, but this may be more of a trend than an actual kitchen design improvement. Sure, not lifting food above your shoulders is great. But so is having a combo microwave and vent hood inline with your other cooking appliances.  I also heard that a microwave in a lower cabinet has increased risk for child misuse.  There are child prevention locks on most modern microwaves...and kids will figure these out...so the debate is on!  In the mean time, I'm going with OTR.
Because I am setting my upper cabinets to 15 inches deep, I have made a significant change to typical cabinet design.  All cabinets will be custom, and will be less efficient for raw material use.  This is because, raw stock is usually purchased in 48 and 96 inch sizes.  Neither of these dimensions is divided evenly by 15. So I will have some wasted material...or pay premiums to a cabinet maker.
There are also implications to the standard offset between upper cabinets and lower cabinets.  Usually, this is 12 inches.  I will address this later in this blog.

I realized that cabinet makers, kitchen appliance makers have not standardized too well.  There is an informal standard cabinet depth (12,24) but this is a USA standard.  Europe has their own.  Appliance manufactures make for the entire globe.  There needs to be a global standard for kitchen appliances.  GSKA?  Maybe then we could design a kitchen where the appliances don't look like after-thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment